Saturday, September 9, 2017

Do High Fat Diets Support High Testosterone Levels?

Does a high saturated fat diet support high testosterone compared to a low-fat diet?  
You might assume that the idea that a high saturated fat diet supports high testosterone originates with promoters of high-fat, animal-based diets, and you'd be wrong. In fact promoters of low-fat whole foods plant-based diets have embraced this idea and used it to promote abstention from saturated fats and animal products.  
Research providing evidence that reducing total and saturated fat intake reduces testosterone levels OR makes androgens less available for action is not very difficult to find, because this has been proposed by proponents of low-fat diets as a mechanism by which low-fat and plant-based diets might prevent hormone-related cancers. 
Many rank-and-file followers of low-fat whole foods plant-based diets appear unaware that leading medical advocates of such diets frankly assert that high-fat and animal-based diets support high testosterone levels in comparison to their proposed low-fat and plant-based diets.
For example, the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), which promotes a low-fat vegan diet as a prevention for hormone-related cancers, asserts that a low-fat diet will reduce your sex hormone levels. 
Continue reading here.

3 comments:

FXScouse said...

I understand that there is evidence that vegetarian diets are protective against prostate
cancer
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26561618

and that testosterone levels are higher in Western men than in hunter gatherers
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24203318
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24203318

It is not clear to me that high testosterone is either "normal" or desirable.

silvertabby said...

I recall an Air Force study where airmen testosterone levels were tested just before separation and then they were re-tested as civilians several years later. The test subjects who ate lots of saturated or monounsaturated fats as civilians tested higher for testosterone than previously, and those who ate lots of polyunsaturated fats tested lower than previously.

Then there was this young vegan couple on the web who seemed to be pleased that they no longer had any libido.

My own testosterone tested at the very low end of the normal range, and now I'm even on a low SF diet; but I guess I'm covered by eating a lot of monounsaturated fats.

JOHNSON KATE said...

As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.