Monday, May 8, 2017

VLCHF Diet for Psoriasis Experiment Week 1 Report

Since May 1, 2017, I have been eating a very low carbohydrate, high fat (VLCHF) diet.  We have been posting our meals on our Facebook pages.

Beef, avocado, sauteed onion

 I have not eaten more than 100 g of carbohydrate on any day, and most days I have eaten no more than 50 g, especially the last few days.  Most of my carbohydrate has come from oranges (1 small to medium on most days) and non-starchy vegetables (mostly onions, mushrooms, and some greens).  I have cut my green vegetable intake to no more than one small serving daily, and if the greens are cooked, they are in cooked in lots of animal fat or olive oil. 

Some meals I have only meat and fat, some of those including bone broth.

I have been eating about 400-450 g of meat daily, mostly beef and pork, a couple of meals of chicken, and one of salmon (Trader Joe's canned).  Most of this has been meat from grain-fed animals; not more than 25% has been from wild or grass-fed animals.  I do not remove any fat from the meat; in fact I make an effort to preserve all fat.

If I eat a pound (454 g) of lean beef in a day, which provides 135 g of protein, I need to eat 210 g of fat total to meet my caloric needs. There's only about 20 g of fat in a pound of beef sirloin, so, if I ate no carbohydrate at all I would need to add 190 g of fat to my meals, which is more than 10 tablespoons of pure fats (such as lard, tallow, ghee, olive oil, etc.) over the course of the day, or, since I eat only two meals daily, about 5 T per meal (a quarter of a cup plus 1 T).

Thus, to meet my caloric needs, at each meal I have aimed (and mostly succeeded) to eat the equivalent of 4-6 tablespoons of added fat.  My main sources have been butter (regular and clarified, some of it Kerrygold, some Trader Joe's non-organic), bacon, tallow, heavy whipping cream, olive oil, high oleic sunflower oil, fish oil (no more than a teaspoon daily), almond butter, coconut (meat, cream, and oil), pecans, and walnuts.  Most of the fat has been animal source, and most of that (except some Kerrygold butter and tallow) has been from grain-fed animals; I estimate no more than 25% of my fat has come from plant sources, probably less. 

Reducing my plant food intake to this level, I have no bloating and very little flatus.  My belly is as flat after a meal as it is before.  One day we had some spicy pork sausages at the farmer's market, and the spice gave me a little gut grief, so I decided I will avoid such spicy food in the future.

My energy level has been excellent.  I performed my usual high intensity training sessions without any trouble.  In today's training, I markedly improved my performance in some exercises –  I increased repetitions in handstand shoulder taps by more than 25% –, and in others I equaled my performance of one week ago, .

So, what happened to my skin?  Take a look:




I used no creams, lotions, oils or medications.  The lesions in the left eye socket and the right ear have markedly improved, nearly healed.  The left ear lesion has always been worse than the right, now looks about 50% reduced.  The scalp doesn't look much different to me, but the itching has reduced by about 50% and by palpation, the skin is softer and there are fewer large thick flakes falling off.

For more than 30 years I've been trying to heal this condition by eating lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and other supposedly anti-inflammatory plant foods, and by avoiding supposedly pro-inflammatory animal fats and protein for years of time.  Results were not forthcoming.

Now I have spent just 7 days of eating a VLCHF diet consisting of lots of the supposedly pro-inflammatory animal fats and proteins and very little of the supposedly anti-inflammatory plant foods, and this already looks more promising.

I look forward to seeing what happens in the next 7 days. 

1 comment:

silvertabby said...

I've had occasional persistent itching at three skin sites (two current) over the past several years. So I guess it could be connected with my recently discovered high insulin levels.

In Don's case, will it be carbs, toxins in the carb foods, or both that are causing the skin problems?