Thursday, May 11, 2017

Okinawan Centenarians Eat More Animal Proteins and Fats and Less Carbohydrates Than Average Japanese

"Japanese Okinawan centenarians eat diets low in animal protein."  Is that true?  

Not according to Shibata et al.:

According to Shibata et al.

1. Nutrient intakes in 94 Japanese centenarians investigated between 1972 and 1973 showed a higher proportion of animal protein to total proteins than in contemporary average Japanese.
2. High intakes of milk and fats and oils had favorable effects on 10-year (1976-1986) survivorship in 422 urban residents aged 69-71. The survivors revealed a longitudinal increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the 10 years.
3. Nutrient intakes were compared, based on 24-hour dietary records, between a sample from Okinawa Prefecture where life expectancies at birth and 65 were the longest in Japan, and a sample from Akita Prefecture where the life expectancies were much shorter. Intakes of Ca, Fe, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and the proportion of energy from proteins and fats were significantly higher in the former [Okinawa] than in the latter [Akita]. Intakes of carbohydrates and NaCl were lower.

If its still not clear, read it again.  Japanese centenarians ate more animal protein and fats and less carbohydrates and salt than average Japanese.  Survivors had high intakes of milk, fats, and oils and an increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the ten years of this study. 

More animal protein and fat and less carbohydrate was found beneficial for life span in Okinawa, which supports what may be my unique theory that humans' increased intake of animal foods and restricted intake of plant foods during the Pleistocene probably played an important role in favoring the natural selection of longer life spans in humans compared to the other great apes.

1 comment:

Miller Gates said...

I am a male of 55 years now and I have been confirmed diabetic. I am having lots of symptom like weak erection, weakness of the body, dry lips and palms, and even restlessness in the legs and shrinking of my general body build ups. My head is itching very much. I'm a male and at the time of diagnosis, I weighed about 215. (I'm 6'2")Within 6 months, I had gained 30 to 35 pounds, and apparently the diabetes medicines (Actos and Glimiperide) are known to cause weight gain. I wish my doctor had mentioned that, so I could have monitored my weight more closely. It's been very hard to lose this weight.nothing was really working to help my condition. Finally i started on Diabetes herbal formula i purchased from Health Herbal Clinic, i read alot of positive reviews from other patients who used the Diabetes herbal treatment. I used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks, its effects on diabetes is amazing, all my symptoms gradually faded away, i walk very more freely by myself now! Visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com or email at healthherbalclinic@ gmail. com I recommend this diabetes herbal formula for all diabetic Patients.