Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Cold Outdoor Bath With The Wim Hof Method

As I have previoiusly mentioned, I have been taking exclusively cold showers 6 days of every week.  On the seventh day I take a warm shower with  a cold ending.  The cold water coming out of our faucets in Scottsdale is 60 ℉ (16 ℃). 

I enrolled in the 10-week Wim Hof Method video course two weeks ago. Before enrolling in this course, I did traditional pranayama every morning.  For the past two weeks I have been doing Wim Hof's breathing methods. 

I was already ahead of his cold exposure schedule when I enrolled in the course.  Using the Hof method of breathing as a preparation, I have gradually increased to 6 minute long cold showers.  I am gradually increasing this to 10 minutes.  

Today I decided to test my tolerance of a 60 ℉ (16 ℃) cold water plunge on a 45 ℉ (7 ℃) morning in typical desert dry air (which draws a lot of heat from the body via evaporation). 

This is no spectacular feat but it is a step towards the goal of bath in ice water, which is coming up in a few weeks.  I felt I could have stayed in longer but I wanted to be conservative on my first attempt so as to keep a positive experience and excitement.


No comments: