Monday, April 20, 2015

My Current Calisthenics Routine Part 2 | Stretch Therapy & Hip Mobility Routine

As I discussed in a previous post, I started my calisthenics journey with some significant deficiencies in my hip and shoulder mobility as consequences of previous injuries.  Consequently I currently devote a significant portion of my calisthenics training to correcting these deficiencies.

Since the beginning of this year, I have gotten a series of passive Fascial Stretch Therapy sessions from Pippa Frame.  These biweekly sessions have greatly helped to increase my shoulder and hip mobility.  Every session has resulted in noticeable improvements in my functional ability.  I highly, highly recommend FST and specifically Pippa to anyone who has long-standing joint mobility issues.

Aside from my daily limbering routine, I devote one of my three weekly structured training sessions primarily to hip and squat mobility.  In this routine I use the some of the principles and movements taught by Kit Laughlin's Master the Full Squat video series available for only $10 on Vimeo.  

I highly recommend this tutorial to anyone who wants to improve hip mobility.  The instructions are especially valuable to adults who are developing flexibility in ranges they may not have enjoyed since childhood.  Kit and crew have insights on this path not to be found elsewhere because they themselves only started developing their mobility and flexibility as adults.  





I do my calisthenics routines on Mondays and Fridays, and I perform my dedicated hip mobility/stretch therapy routine on Wednesdays, after doing my shoulder mobility and handstand preparatory routine (which I will present in my next post).

The following lists the components of my hip and squat mobility training sessions: 
  1. Ankle/calf stretches
  2. Sumo squat limbering
  3. Full squat limbering
  4. Lunge “box the compass” limbering and stretching
  5. Cossack squat limbering and stretching
  6. Baby Flop
  7. Piriformis stretches
  8. Frog/ adductor stretches
  9. Diamond stretch
The whole sequence takes 30-60 minutes.  I want to emphasize that I only do this intense stretching once weekly.  Kit Laughlin reports that in his experience, this is the best frequency for increasing mobility and flexibility without overtraining.  Intense stretching of this sort is essentially a type of isometric strength training; training too frequently will impair progress by interfering with the adaptation process.  

Below you will find videos showing me doing each of these stretches.  For detailed instructions I recommend that you invest $10 in Kit Laughlin's high quality Master the Squat video series.










No comments: