Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My Current Calisthenics Routine Part 1 | Daily Limbering Routine

I got a request from Marcus Nylund to give an update on my calisthenics training routine.   Check out his website.

I'm going to respond in several parts dealing with different aspects of my physical training:  first, in this post, I present my daily limbering routine; in the next post I will detail my once-weekly intense mobility/ flexibility training session and ancillary stretch therapy; and in the third post I will give the details of my biweekly high-intensity calisthenics routine.

Keep in mind that my current routine is based around my current goals, which are:

  1. Rehabilitate and increase the mobility of both my shoulder and pelvic girdles.
  2. Lay a solid foundation for handstand training.
My daily limbering routine addresses the first goal.  I invest about 30 minutes in this routine every day of the week.  This is a relaxed stretching routine that I do in the morning, before other activity.  I have


  1. Open blood flow and release stiffness from the night's sleep.
  2. Find out where I have increased or decrease muscle tension as a result of the previous day's training or work.
  3. Keep myself comfortable with going to the edge of my range of motion and gently relax into and slightly beyond that edge.
It is important that this routine is not strenuous.  I do not attempt to vigorously push beyond my current flexibility limits when doing these movements.  Rather, I ease up to the limit and then relax at that limit.  The purpose is to train the nervous system to accept that range of motion as a normal everyday occurrence.


Relaxed Limbering Series 

  1. Shoulder circles: 20-50 each direction
  2. Gravity drop (10s to 1 min)
  3. Downward dog (1-2 min)
  4. Parsvotanasana (1-2 min each thigh)
  5. Shoulder flexion with traction  (10s to 1 min)
  6. Butterfly pose (1-2 minutes)
  7. Piriformis release (1-2 minutes per side)
  8. Psoas lunge  (1-2 minutes per side)
  9. Full pike (1-2 minutes)
I often do the shoulder flexion between the shoulder circles and the gravity drop, and the butterfly and the piriformis stretches can be switched in order.  Otherwise I recommend performing them in the order listed, because each pose benefits from those done before it.  

These videos demonstrate the movements. 













2 comments:

MRN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Markus said...

This is excellent Don! I also have problems with my right shoulder which extends to the tendonitis in my right elbow and my whole wrist. I think the problem comes from my back so i need to start doing this stuff more. Been thinking about adoptin a yoga practise of some kind also and lay off the strength training (calisthenics) for awhile.