Thursday, September 17, 2009

Brad Pilon on Losing Weight With Exercise

Brad Pilon of Eat Stop Eat has put up a nice video discussing why more exercise alone won't work to regulate weight.

Losing Weight With Exercise


Bryce said...

Interesting that you reference him, since Brad is a staunch proponent of the calories in, calories out view of weightloss.

I think he does lots of good though. Whether IF works because of reduced calories, reduced insulin, or a combination isn't really relevant (though I think it has more to do w/ reduced insulin).



I mentioned this before in a post on exercise that seems to have been deleted and I will mention it again because it helped me in a tremendous way: there is a ongoing, long-term study being done on 10 biomarkers that measure health/vitality. This study found that weightlifting/strength training affects all 10 biomarkers in a positive manner and does so immediately. Yoga affects only 3 positively, none negatively, and the effects are long-term and cumulative. Running/jogging affects all 10 negatively. This research points out that muscles are the engine of youth.

This was a revelation to me because I felt like I should be running like all the other people I see out doing so daily even though I don't enjoy it. Yoga never seemed to give me all I need in a physical activity. Weightlifting, while I have always enjoyed it, seemed to me to be vanity. This research freed me to lift weighs again guilt- free and as I didn't need to lose weight the increase in my vitality has been amazing. And by using the methods outlined in" Body by Science" I don't spend much time in the gym (but do go more than these authors say is necessary) and have more lean muscle mass than I have had in my life.

mario_encinias said...

I was wondering also if I could pose a question here since I couldn't find an email for you. I don't hardly consume vegetables myself, but I've been trying to address a rather simple question regarding why these are so ubiquitous in human cultures.

In terms of hunting and gathering economies, it hardly seems worth the investment to procure and prepare green vegetable matter. Meat and tubers make much more economic sense in this regard as they yield a calorie dense return that warrant the investment in obtaining them. Green vegetables, on the other hand, have many points against them. In addition to a low calorie yield, they are loaded with problematic compounds; they are either tasteless or worse, bitter; and humans don't seem to have a natural craving for these as they do for other items such as fat, sugar and salt.

Yet green vegetables are present in almost all human culinary traditions, albeit not always in copious amounts.

Simply stated: Why do humans eat vegetables?

Don said...


I think we make a mistake to think that people only seek foods for caloric return. Greens generally have a very high micronutrient density, comparable to liver. I think people eat them for the micronutrients, guided by primal wisdom. As for cravings, I have found that once people get used to eating greens, many do report "craving" them.

toddhargrove said...


I agree that humans probably gathered food with far more in mind than just caloric value. I am in the process of reading a book called Wild Health right now, which discusses the various ways that animals find plants and other substances that have medicinal or other health value totally separate from the calories.